Air Abrasion: Decay Removal Minus Needles and Drills
A painless procedure, Air Abrasion is a relatively new decay removal/tooth technique we often use in place of the traditional dental drill.
For certain small cavities, Air Abrasion can mean NO needles and NO drills. It is a relatively new technology in dentistry.
A high powered stream of air, with powder, cleans decay from small cavities on the chewing surfaces of back teeth, allowing a white filling to be bonded in place.
What Are the Advantages of Air Abrasion?
Compared with the traditional drilling method, the advantages of air abrasion are many and include the following:
- Air abrasion generates no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration.
- Air abrasion reduces the need for anesthesia, particularly if the cavity is shallow.
- Air abrasion leaves much more of the healthy tooth tissue behind.
- Air abrasion leaves the working area relatively dry, which is an advantage during the placement of composite fillings.
- Air abrasion reduces the risk of microfracturing and chipping of the tooth.
- Air abrasion allows us to treat multiple sites in the mouth during a single visit.
- The procedure is relatively simple and quick.
When you come in for your appointment we will let you know if you have any cavities that are good candidates for this procedure.